HOW DO I MAKE A NATURAL DIY SUNSCREEN LOTION? – ZIGIHOW.COM.NG
Have you been seeking for a simple and yet effective recipe on how to make a natural DIY sunscreen lotion? Worry no more, you’re just about to learn that. But first let’s know what a sunscreen lotion is.
What Is a Sunscreen Lotion?
Sunscreen, also known as sunblock, is a lotion, that absorbs or reflects the sun’s ultraviolet radiation and helps protect the skin against sunburn.
How Important Is Sunscreen Lotion To Our Skin?
Sunscreen is very essential for a successful skincare routine. When you use a good sunscreen lotion, you won’t have to bother about sun damages to the skin such as sun burn, skin darkening as a result of too much exposure to the rays of direct sunlight.
A sunscreen lotion can protect your skin from the harmful ultraviolet radiation of the sun. Diligent use of a sunscreen lotion can also slow or temporarily prevent the development of wrinkles, moles and sagging skin.
Don’t get me wrong, the early morning sun gives the skin a sufficient amount of Vitamin D, which is very beneficial for a good health such as, maintain the health of bones and teeth, Increase strength, prevention of cancer, reduced the risk of osteoporosis, manages depression, and supports the health of the immune system, brain, and the nervous system.
But it’s very important you avoid the mid-day sunlight, (afternoon) this sun rays are the hottest, harsh to the skin, and don’t provide any health benefits.
There are some certain things you need to do to protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun and to prevent skin damage especially sunburn. They are:
- Avoid being outside during the middle of the day when the sun’s rays are the hottest
- Seek shade under a tree, umbrella, etc., if being outside during peak sun is necessary
- If you must go outside under a hot sun, ensure to wear a large-brimmed hat
- Also wear light, loose clothing to cover exposed skin
However applying a sunscreen lotion remains one of the best ways to prevent sun damages to the skin. So let’s learn how to make a natural DIY sunscreen lotion.
How To Make a Natural DIY Sunscreen Lotion
But before we move to how to make this homemade natural DIY sunscreen lotion, let’s take a look at some details about the ingredients to be used in making this lotion.
Ingredients For Natural DIY sunscreen lotion
Shea butter – shea butter has natural sunscreen properties, a factor SPF of about 6 which naturally protects the skin, making it perfect for use in a DIY sunscreen lotion.
Jojoba oil or Sunflower oil – These oils easily absorbs into the skin and also provide some natural sun protection.
Peppermint essential oil – Similarly among essential oils, SPF value of peppermint essential oil was found to be the highest. Peppermint essential contains emollient properties that protects the skin against the drying effects of exposure to wind and sun. It also sooths and repairs skin damage such as sunburn.
Vitamin E – is a fat-soluble antioxidant that is essential for the maintenance of healthy skin. It’s been called “the protector” because it reduces wrinkles by blocking free radicals and oxidative stress
Zinc Oxide Powder (non-nano) – a non-toxic, usually non-irritating, effective broad-spectrum sunblock. The particles sit on the outermost layer of your skin, scattering and absorbing UVA and UVB rays, protecting the skin below.
Note: It’s very important you ensure to use only non-nano zinc oxide in making your homemade natural DIY sunscreen lotion.
What is Nano Zinc Oxide Anyway?
Nano or micronized zinc oxide has been treated to reduce the size of its particles, creating an ultrafine powder. When added to sunscreens it does not leave white particles on the skin because of it’s ultrafine nature, making it a popular choice in many commercial sunscreens.
The problem with this is that the particles are so small they can enter the body through the skin, causing potential health problems. So it’s advised to use non-nano zinc oxide in making your homemade natural DIY Sunscreen lotion.
Note: its important to note that different amounts of zinc oxide are needed depending on what SPF you would like your lotion to be. Once you have chosen the SPF, then a little math is involved.
The zinc oxide must be a certain percentage of the weight of your ingredients (before adding the zinc oxide). For this reason, it’s easiest to use a kitchen scale when making your sunscreen. For example, if you have 2 ounces of lotion and you’d like to make SPF 10 sunscreen, according to the values below you will need to add 2 ounces of zinc oxide (4 Tablepoon spoon) to the lotion. Use the zinc oxide recommendations below.
- 2-5 SPF: Use 5% zinc oxide
- 6-11 SPF: Use 10% zinc oxide
- 12-19 SPF: Use 15% zinc oxide
- 20 SPF: Use 20% zinc oxide
Homemade Natural DIY Recipe For Sunscreen Lotion.
- 3 Teaspoon Jojoba oil or Sunflower oil
- 2 Teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 3 Tablepoon Coconut oil
- 3 Tablepoon sheabutter
- 3 Tablepoon Zinc oxide powder
- 30 Drops Peppermint essential oil
Note: Differentiate between Teaspoon and Tablepoon.
Step 1: Melt the Coconut oil, and Sheabutter using double boiler method over a low heat. You can read how to dissolve skincare ingredients using double boiler method.
Step 2: Once melted, remove from the heat, allow it to cool alittle. Then mix in the jojoba oil or Sunflower oil, while you give the mixture a good stir.
Put on a mask that covers your nose and mouth (to avoid breathing in the fine particles of zinc oxide powder)
Step 3: Stir in the zinc oxide powder slowly, making sure it is entirely dissolved before adding more. You can use an electric mixer to blend everything.
Step 4: Finally, Add Vitamin E and peppermint oil.
Step 5: Give the mixture a good and thorough stir for proper blending. An electric blender will do a great work. Infact an electric blender will give the mixure a nice and fluffy texture
Congratulations your homemade natural DIY Sunscreen lotion is ready.
Step 6: Store your Sunscreen lotion in a dark jar and refrigerate it to firm. Storing the mixure in a cool place will firm it too.
Apply you’re homemade natural DIY Sunscreen lotion on exposed skin before stepping out.
- Ensure to use only non-nano zinc oxide in making your homemade natural DIY sunscreen lotion.
- While mixing in the non-nano zink oxide into your mixture ensure to put on a mask that covers your nose and mouth (to avoid breathing in the fine particles of zinc oxide powder)
- Blending the mixture with an electric blender is the best, it’s going to give your DIY sunscreen lotion a fluffy texture, making it look nice and light just like a Lotion.
- If after making the Homemade natural DIY sunscreen lotion and it seems not to be thick. Store it in a refrigerator, it will definitely thicken.
- The shelf life of this natural DIY sunscreen lotion is about 6 months.
- Store at room temperature or in the refrigerator to increase shelf life
- This sunscreen is not waterproof and will need to be reapplied after sweating or swimming.
- Remove the zinc oxide and this makes an excellent lotion recipe. You can read how to make varieties of whipped body butter lotions.