Last Updated on May 19, 2020 by Anselem
HOME REMEDY TREATMENTS FOR ITCHY EARS – ZIGIHOW.COM.NG
Having an itching ear can be very annoying, inconvenient and can disrupt one’s ability to concentrate, making you feel like ripping off your ear. So, if you’re experiencing this challenge. Then you’re definitely in the right place, because in this very article you’re definitely going to learn some home remedy treatments for itchy ears.
The human outer ear canal is very sensitive; as a result, even a sudden change in the environment in the ear canal can lead to the onset of itchy ears. The ear canal is innervated with sensitive nerves, which make the ear canal just as responsive and prone to itching as any other part of the human body.
Before we proceed. Let’s know the factors that really causes itchy ears.
Below are factors that can cause itchy ears:
- Ear infections
- Allergic reactions
- Ear dryness due to insufficient or inadequate secretion of ear wax
- Compulsive and intrusive ear cleaning with cotton buds that rids the cavity of the natural wax and the subsequent buildup of flakes of dry skin within the ear canal
- Earwax accumulation, as the wax pushes deeper into the ear canal by the constant probing with cleaning tools
- Result of water trapped in the ear canal
- Hearing aid- or headphone-induced irritation
- Ear canal dermatitis
- Insect bite
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Itchy Ears?
Below are the symptoms associated with Itchy ears:
- Redness on the outside
- Discharge or a type of drainage that comes from your ear
- Pain or tenderness to the touch
What Are The Home Remedy Treatments For Itchy Ears?
1 Flush Your Ear With Warm Water.
This is one of the most simple and yet very effective remedy for itchy ear. Flushing your ear with warm water is one of the best way to get rid of excessive ear wax accumulated in the ear which can cause ear itchiness.
The gentle force of the water will dislodge the wax, making it easier to remove from the ear. Ensure to use only distilled water; never use tap water.
How Do I Flush My Ear With Warm Water?
- Fill a rubber bulb syringe with warm distilled water.
- Keep your head upright and pull the outer ear up and back to straighten the ear canal.
- Use the syringe to gently put a small amount of water into the ear canal.
- Leave it for a minute, and then drain it out by bending your head to the opposite side.
- Clean away the water and earwax with a clean cloth.
- Repeat the process on the other ear
2 Try Olive Oil
Olive oil is one of the most known home remedy to treat Itchy ears.
Olive oil helps remove excess earwax and keeps your ear canal adequately lubricated and hydrated. Olive Oil has antiseptic properties that may reduce the risk of ear infection. It can soften the rigid ear wax, thereby facilitating its expulsion from the ear.
How Do I Use Olive Oil To Treat Itchy Ears?
- Lie on your side with the affected ear facing up.
- Gently pull the outer part of your ear up and back.
- Put 2-3 drops of warm olive oil in the opening of your ear using a dropper.
- Gently massage the skin at the front of the ear to help the oil work its way in and penetrate deeper.
- Remain on your side for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Wipe away any extra oil that drips from your ear when you sit up.
- Repeat in the other ear if needed
3 Remove Water Trapped In Your Ear.
Sometimes after swimming or taking shower, water tends to enter the ear and get trap inside the ear. This can trigger ear itchiness if the water is not gotten rid of.
To get rid of the trapped water in the ear, you have to use gravity method. allow gravity to take its course and work its magic.
How To Remove Trapped Water Inside The Ear Using Gravity Method.
- Bend the side of your head with the affected ear parallel to the ground.
- Put a clean finger in your ear.
- Now, try to create a vacuum to help dislodge the fluid.
- Use a cotton bud or towel to clean up the discharge.
4 A Few Drops of Hydrogen Peroxide Solution Will Do The Magic
You know why many commercial over the counter ear drops Products contains hydrogen peroxide as one of it’s main ingredient? This is because Hydrogen peroxide is very effective in dealing with itchiness in the ear due to wax buildup or accumulation.
Hydrogen peroxide helps dilute the consistency of the wax and causes it to bubble up and move out of the ear.
Althrough, too frequent use of hydrogen peroxide in the ear canal may worsen ear canal skin dryness.
How Do I Use Hydrogen peroxide For Itchy Ears?
- Mix equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and water.
- Fill an ear dropper with this solution.
- Bend your head sideways and put a few drops of this solution into the ear. Maintain this position for some time.
- Then, bend your head to the opposite side to drain out the solution.
- Wipe away the earwax using a clean.
5 Apply Warm Compress.
If the itchiness of the ear is as a result of Acne(pimples), then using warm compress is really important and very beneficial for getting rid of itching ear, as it dries out the acne. Once the acne is healed, the itchiness will be gone instantaneously.
The heat from a warm compress helps reduce inflammation and irritation, which in turn can soften the acne to bring the pus to the surface. Plus, the warmth helps reduce any pain.
How Do I Treat Ear Itchiness With Warm Compress?
- Soak a clean cloth in warm water and squeeze out the excess.
- Apply the warm compress on the ear for about 5-7 minutes.
- Use a gentle cleanser to wash the ear.
- Use this remedy twice daily for a few days, until the Itchiness is gone.
6 Why Don’t You Give White Vinegar A Try.
White vinegar is another effective natural remedy for Itchy ears, however it works more effectively when used in combination with rubbing alcohol.
The rubbing alcohol serves as a drying agent and helps evaporate any residual liquid from the ear.
However, vinegar also prevents the ear from any kind of infection by maintaining an acid balance in the skin of the ear canal.
How Do I Use White Vinegar To Treat Itchy Ear?
- Mix equal parts of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in a bowl.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution.
- Bend the affected ear upward, pull the outer ear up and back, and then squeeze 2-3 drops of this solution into the ear.
- Wait for 5 minutes, and then bend your head to the opposite direction with the treated ear down so that gravity can exert its action and pull the solution and the wax out of the ear cavity.
- Remove the earwax from the outer ear with a tissue.
7 A Blow Dryer Is Very Beneficial.
To get rid of the moisture in the ear, which could trigger the itchiness, this is where a blow dryer comes in.
The warm, dry air from the blow dryer will promote the natural evaporation of the moisture from the ear canal and speed up the drying of a wet canal.
How Do I Get Rid Of Itchy Ears With A Blow Dryer?
- Pull your earlobe away from your body.
- Hold a blow dryer about 10 to 12 inches away from your ear.
- Ensure to set the dryer heat to warm and air flow to low.
- Turn the dryer on and aim it directly into the ear canal.
- Hold the dryer in position for approximately 30 seconds.
- If required, repeat the process again
Note : It’s Important that you do not expose your ear to the dryer heat for more than a few minutes to avoid burning.
8 Always Keep Your Ears Dry.
Trapped water inside the ears that can cause moisture and ear infection can trigger ear Itchiness. So it’s really important to keep your ear dry at all cost and always.
Any moisture in the ear can cause irritation, inflammation, and infection.
How Do I Keep My Ears Dry Always?
- Ensure to dry your ears thoroughly after exposure to moisture from swimming or bathing. Dry only your outer ear, wiping it slowly and gently with a soft towel or cloth. Bend your head to the side to help water drain from your ear canal properly.
- Another tips to keep your ears dry is to prevent getting water in your ear canals when bathing. Coat 2 cotton balls with petroleum jelly and put 1 in each of the outer ears; swimmers’ earplugs and a shower cap may also be helpful.
9 Maintenance Of Good Ear Health.
This is the most important role you should play to ensure your ears are in good health and to prevent ear problems like ear infection and itchiness.
How Can I Maintain Good Ear Health?
- Never use cotton swabs to clean the inside of your ear canal. It can ultimately cause more damage than good.
- Ensure you regularly clean the outside of your ears using a cotton ball, some warm water, and mild soap. Keeping the outside clean will help keep debris and allergens out of your ear canal.
- Always ensure wear earplugs when swimming to keep water and debris out of your ears and to reduce the risk of an infection in the outer ear canal.
How Do I Prevent Itchy Ears?
Avoid cleaning your ears with sharp harmful objects. Below are objects suitable for cleaning your ears to maintain good ear hygiene and avoid ear problems such as ears infection and itchiness.
- Cotton balls
- Cotton swabs
- Paper clips
- Bobby pins
Other ways to prevent ear irritations and Itchiness are:
- To save your ear cavity from excessive moisture, wear a shower cap while bathing and swimming.
- Ensure to use mild shampoos and shower gels that are specifically formulated for sensitive skin. As using harsh shampoos and shower gels can trigger irritation on the skin, especially around the ear area.
- If you’re the type that regularly uses a hearing aid or earplugs ensure to disinfect them from time to time and insert them gently so as not to irritate the ear.
- Ensure to always keep your cell phone and earphones clean, as they can contribute to an ear infection.
- It’s really important you avoid touching your ears with dirty fingers or inserting dirty fingers into your inner ears.
- Manage overproduction of earwax by using doctor-approved approaches, such as ear drops or a bulb syringe.
- You should really be careful when choosing ear jewelry, and avoid jewelry made of metals. Because they might result in an allergic reaction that leads to itching.
- Always avoid putting sharp objects into your ear.
When Do I See A Doctor?
An itchy ear that is not rooted in some underlying or severe infection is rarely a cause of concern and tends to clear on its own within a few days. However, if you encounter problems such as bleeding or drainage from your ears or a sudden loss of hearing, please it’s really important you visit your doctor at once.
Also, if the itch fails to subside or stop within a week despite proper home care, medical help will be warranted to identify the underlying cause and address the symptoms. Understanding the cause behind an itchy ear is the key to a successful treatment plan.