DRY ITCHY EYES: HOME REMEDIES TO GET RID OF DRY ITCHY EYES – ZIGIHOW.COM.NG
Dry Itchy eyes are so irresistible which can make you rub your eyes till they start to ache and turn red in colour.
Having dry itchy eyes is a common problem, in fact, there is chances that you may have or you’ve experienced dry itchy eyes at some point in life.
Dry Itchy eyes can be so discomforting and frustrating, due to it’s irresistible itchy sensation, which can make your eyes starts to drip water and look as if you just cried.
The common symptoms associated with dry itchy eyes are:
- Burning sensation in the eyes
- Watery eyes
- Inflamed eyelids
- Redness in the eyes
- Discharge from the eyes
- Increased sensitivity to light
Dry Itchy eyes also in medically terms called ocular prurtitis is mainly due to an allergic reaction or some kind of infection. Our eyes are prone to allergies just like other parts of the body. Eye allergies occur when the body overreacts to some factor.
Some Factors That May Cause Dry Itchy Eyes
The immune system produces antibodies which causes your eyes to release chemical substance like histamines. These substances are responsible for all symptoms meantioned above. Other causes that can trigger dry itchy eyes are:
- Dry eyes.
- The use of contact lenses
- Improper eye hygiene
- Use of expired eye cosmetics
- Foreign substance in the eyes (such as dust or sand).
For individuals who frequently rubs their eyes, the itching sensation can reoccur, and can get very severe in a high-polluted environment or during the allergy season.
It’s advised to know the source of the allergies to avoid it’s reoccurrence. It is important to dry treat itchy eyes quickly, as leaving it untreated can lead to further complications and increase your risk of eye damage.
In this very article, we are going to state some home remedies which can easily be found in your kitchen that can instantly relief dry itchy Eyes. Just ensure that whatever you put in your eyes is clean and hygienic.
Let’s jump to home remedies to get rid of dry itchy eyes.
1. Cold Compresses.
Cold Compresses is a very popular remedy recommended by doctors, which can instantly relief Itchy sensation around the eyes.
A clean, moist cloth is popularly known as the best remedy for itchiness, it alleviate the dryness and irritation. You can alternate between cold and hot compresses both pose the same result to effectively relief itchiness and also very economical.
How To Use Cold/Warm Compress On Dry Itchy Eyes:
- The best and easiest way to do this is soak a clean cloth in a cold water rinse it alittle to remove excessive water, and place it over your eyes. Remove after 5 minutes and repeat a few more times.
- You can also wrap some ice cube in a clean cloth and place them around your closed eyelids and remove it after 5 to 10 minutes. Repeat 2 to 3 times daily.
- Alternatively, you can dip in a clean cloth in a warm water, rinse out excessive water, apply over your eyelids for 5 minutes. This is a good alternative to cold compress.
Cucumber is a vegetable which contains lots of water and medicinal properties and also used as an active ingredient in so many Skincare products.
Cucumber can ease and relief eye itchiness due to it’s cool nature and healing properties. Cucumbers contain chemicals called cucurbitacin which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
Cucumbers are also rich in phytosterols that have antioxidant and skin healing properties. They also have antibacterial activity, these help reduce swelling and irritation associated with dry itchy eyes. It’s cooling nature effective in reducing puffiness and darkness around the eyes.
How to get rid of eye itchiness using cucumber:
- Get a healthy cucumber
- Thoroughly wash your cucumber under a running water.
- Cut your cucumber into slices.
- Refrigerate the slices for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place the chilled cucumber slices around your closed eyelids for 5 minutes.
- Repeat this process 2 to 3 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can blend your cucumber, strain the juice, soak a cotton wool in the cucumber juice and apply it over your eyelids for 15 minutes.
3 Cold Milk.
Cold milk is another recommended yet popular remedy for dry Itchy eyes. Milk sooths burning sensation and relives itchy discomfort in the eyes, because of it’s bioactive molecules which are responsible for it’s antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
The fat in milk is very soothing and relaxing for tired eyes.
How To Use Milk For Dry Itchy Eyes:
- Dab a cotton wool in a cold milk, apply it round your eyes. Do this twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.
- Alternatively, You can also place a cotton ball soaked in cold milk over your eyes as a compress for 15 to 20 minutes for an instant cooling effect. Do it 3 or 4 times a day.
4. Rose Water.
According to skin specialists, rose water is one of the best recommended remedies for dry itchy eyes, this is because rose water contains anti-inflammatory properties that reduce redness and irritation. Its antioxidant properties help in strengthening and regenerating the skin tissue.
Rose water is very effective in reliving an itchy eyes, because of it’s cooling and soothing nature. It also works as a natural relaxer for strained and tired eyes.
How To Use Rose water For Itchy Eyes:
- Rinse your eyes with pure rose water at least twice a day for better and effective result.
- You can also use rosewater as eye drops, by dropping about 2-3 drops in the irritated itchy eyes twice a day, for instant relief.
- Alternatively, you can dip 2 cotton balls in rose water and place them over your closed eyes for 15 to 20 minutes. Do this 2 or 3 times a day.
5. Aleo Vera Gel
Aleo vera gel is very effective for eye itchiness, thanks to it’s soothing, cooling and moisturizing nature.
Aleo vera contains mereliefdicinal properties that can sooth and inflamed eyes with immediate effect.
How To Use Aleo Vera Gel For Itchy Eyes:
- Get a fresh aloe vera plant. Wash it thoroughly under a running water. Slit it using sharp knife to extract the gel. Apply the gel outside of your eyelids. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Then rinse it off with either warm or cold water. Do this 2-3 times daily.
- Alternatively, you can slit a well washed aloe vera plant open. Dip a cotton wool into it’s juice. Then apply the aleo vera juice over your closed eyes. Rinse after 15 minutes. Repeat this process 2-3 times a day.
6. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel is also one of the best home remedies for dry itchy eyes, because it contains tannins that reduces swelling and inflammation. It also has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which relives itchy and irritated eyes.
How To Use Witch Hazel For Itchy Eyes:
- Dip a cotton wool in witch hazel and wipe it along the edge of your top eyelid. dip the cotton wool in the witch hazel again and repeat the process on the lower eyelid with another edge of the cotton wool. Use another cotton wool for the other eye. Repeat this process twice a day till the itchiness is no more.
- Alternatively, you can use over the counter witch hazel wet tissues. Place them over your closed eyes for 15 minutes. Repeat this process 3 times a day to get effective results.
7. Castor Oil.
Castor oil is a great moisturizing agent, which can moisturize and sooth itchy and irritated eyes. In addition it contains anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that battles eye infection.
Castor oil also nourishes your eye lashes and makes them grow thicker and healthier.
How To Use Castor Oil For Itchy Eyes:
- Using a sterile dropper, put a drop of cold-pressed castor oil in each eye at night before going to sleep. If you have dry eyes, you can use it daily to lubricate your eyes. This will keep your eyes well moist and sooth dryness as a result relief itchiness and inflammation of the eyes.
- If you’re suffering from eye conditions such as blepharitis, dip a cotton wool in castor oil and wipe it along the outside of your eyelid to help clear up the infection. You can also place a warm towel over your closed eyelid for 15 to 20 minutes. Do this a couple of times a day for a few days.
Note: Ensure the castor oil you use is organic and hexane-free. Do not put castor oil in your eyes if it causes a lot of burning and redness in the eyes.
Disclaimer: If the problem is severe, recurrent or caused by an underlying condition, consult your eye care professional. Health experts recommend determining the cause of itchy eyes before looking for the solution.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes, as it can worsen the symptoms.
- Do not wear contact lenses for a long period of time. Also, ensure to clean them regularly.
- Never use expired eye drops. Always check for the expiring date before using.
- Do not share contact lenses or eye makeup with another person. This is very important.
- To control eye itching, avoid visiting areas where there are known allergens or staying in high-polluted areas.
- Ensure to Include carrots and spinach juice in your diet to improve your eye health.
- Consider taking vitamin A and beta-carotene supplements for overall eye health. Consult your doctor first.
- Wear eyeglasses or sunglasses to protect your eyes when going out in the sun.
- Take breaks during long tasks to let your eyes rest. Follow the 20-20-20 rule of gazing at a distance of 20 feet for 20 seconds every 20 minutes of eye straining work.
- Avoid blowing air into your eyes while using hair dryers, car heaters, air conditioners or fans. Also avoid staying in a Smokey area or besides a smoker.
- Try to remain indoors when the pollen count in the environment is high. Close the windows and use the air conditioner instead of the fan as there are more chances of pollen and spores being drawn inside.
- Keep dust mites at bay by using fresh clean pillow covers. Also, expose mattresses, pillows, and other bedding to the sun to kill microbes. Replace very old bedding materials with new ones.
- If you don’t get relief, consult an eye specialist immediately.
How To Formulate A DIY Cream For Varicose Veins
Seeking for remedy to get rid of varicose veins? Congratulations, you’ve found it. I assume you’ve read so many articles for remedying varicose veins online before bumping on this site. Anyway, congratulations once more, I must commend you for your in-depth research. You earned it.
However, in this content, we aren’t going to be talking about different remedies for varicose veins, because you’re going to learn how to make a DIY cream for varicose veins, that will literally minimize their outward appearance and possibly make them fade away overtime.
What is Varicose Veins?
In a simple definition, Varicose veins are large, swollen veins that often appear on the legs and feet. They happen when the valves in the veins do not work properly, so the blood does not flow effectively. These veins often looks tiny and twisted, appearing blue or dark purple in colour and also scatterers around like a spider web.
What Causes Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins are a common condition caused by weak or damaged vein walls and valves. Varicose veins are caused by malfunctioning valves in your veins that are unable to bring blood back to your heart effectively as they work against gravity. This can happen because of pregnancy, constipation, a tumor, or overweight and obesity.
According to research more than 23 percent of all adults are thought to be affected by varicose veins.
However, in this content, we’ve come up with a detailed-guide on how to make a DIY cream for varicose veins to help lessen and overtime fade their appearance and also stimulate proper blood flow in the veins.
ALSO READ: How To Formulate A DIY Stretch Marks Cream.
Aside from this tutorial, it is always advised to exercise and stretch your legs, especially after a long sitting in the office or a long trip in a car. Always flex your feet frequently as short exercises supports healthy blood circulation.
So, what are the ingredients needed for the preparation of DIY varicose veins cream?
- ½ Cup Sheabutter.
- ½ Cup cocoa butter.
- 5 Tablepoons Vitamin E oil.
- 10 Tablespoons Rosehip oil.
- 10 Tablespoons Argan oil oil.
- 10 Drops Peppermint essential oil.
- Steel or glass bowl.
- Hand or electric mixture.
Before we head straight to the preparation method, let’s know the benefits of these ingredients on varicose veins.
- Sheabutter: Sheabutter is rich in fatty acids and Vitamin A which makes it a very interesting ingredients in fading the appearance of varicose veins. Due it’s richness in fatty acids, vitamins A, and E, Sheabutter improves skin barrier function, stimulates collagen production, improve elasticity, deeply moisturize and nourishes the skin, which in turn helps alleviates varicose veins and reduces their appearance.
- Cocoa butter: Cocoa butter is another fascinating ingredient and skin hydrating emollient which is very helpful in treating varicose veins. Just like Sheabutter, Cocoa butter is rich in fatty acids and plant compounds called phytochemicals which is why it intensively hydrates and nourishes the skin. Due to the fat in cocoa butter, it forms a protective barrier over skin to hold in moisture.
- Rosehip oil: Rosehip oil contains vitamin C and vitamin A. It also contains essential fatty acids such as: oleic acid. palmitic acid.
And for the fact this oil contains vitamin A, makes it a very recommendable oil for not just only treating varicose veins but also minimizing skin aging signs as vitamin A helps boosts collagen production (a protein that gives your skin structure and elasticity) thereby enhancing skin’s elasticity and firmness which improve skin barrier function and fade away varicose veins overtime.
Not to mention it also contains vitamin C, — an antioxidants that neutralizes free radicals, repairs damages and aids your skin’s natural regeneration process.
- Argan oil: Argan oil is rich in vitamin E, or tocopherol, a fat-soluble vitamin that serves as a potent antioxidant to reduce the damaging effects of free radicals. It’s richness in fatty acids helps improve skin barrier, smoothen top layer of the skin and also delivers intense hydration and nourishment to the skin which helps to treat varicose veins.
- Peppermint essential oil: Peppermint essential oil contains menthol, which is known to stimulate healthy blood circulation on the skin area applied. Menthol increases blood circulation with a cool and refreshing sensation. That being said, peppermint essential oil will come in handy when preparing DIY cream for varicose veins.
- Vitamin E oil: Just like vitamin C, Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidants which has been used for years to treat varicose veins. Vitamin E will improve circulation and help with vein repair as it helps skin repair damages.
Argan oil is extremely rich in vitamin E, just in case in an event you can’t access Vitamin E oil or capsules you can stick with Argan oil, however, I strongly advice to use both in this formulation to ensure potency and effectiveness.
- Step 1: Melt Sheabutter and cocoa butter using double boiler method. Read our in-depth guide on how to dissolve Skincare ingredients using double-boiler method.
- Step 2: Pour melted butters in a clean glass or steel bowl.
- Note: Don’t use plastic bowl to avoid melting the container due to the heat Intensity.
- Step 3: Add other ingredients in accordance to measurement stated above.
- Step 4: Stir mixture thoroughly till you get a smooth texture or consistency. Use an electric mixer or blender for a more thorough mix to get a creamy fluffy texture.
Should in case you don’t you have an electric mixer or blender you can stir with a hand mixer. Just ensure you stir thoroughly.
Note: Should in case your mixture came out runny, add more Sheabutter or cocoa butter to thicken the mixture.
Congratulations your DIY cream for varicose veins is ready.
Massage the cream on the affected area. Ensure to apply the mixture with a gentle massage for atleast 2-5 minutes.
Repeat application 2 times daily for optimum result.
When To See A Doctor.
If you start experiencing
severe cases such as a varicose vein rupture, severe pains (discomfort) or develop into varicose ulcers on the skin. Please consult your doctor as soon as possible.
9 THINGS TO CONSIDER BEFORE USING ESSENTIAL OILS
Essential oils are basically oils containing the concentrated form or the essence of a plant from which it is obtained. They are usually extracted through distillation or mechanical pressing. As a result of it’s many beneficial properties, they have become widely used and with up to 600 types of them available for sale.
A common misconception is that natural products are safe, a lot of people feel safe using organic products forgetting that they are chemicals too, and should take precautions while using them.
For the most part, essential oils are considered safe when used rightly. In using them, however, one must take certain precautions in order to avoid certain side effects such as:
• A rash
• Allergic reactions and more.
Undoubtedly, one of the ways we like to use essential oils is to incorporate them into our skincare routine.
Skincare benefits of essential oils include:
• Boosting collagen production
• Alleviating oily skin issues
• Anti-inflammatory properties
• Antibiotic properties
However, before using essential oils for skincare, there are things you should bear in mind.
1. DILUTE WITH A CARRIER OIL.
The first safety top to consider before using essential oils is never to rub them on your skin directly.
Always dilute your oils before use to prevent issues such as an adverse reaction to it. These oils are highly concentrated and volatile and this is where carrier oils come into play. They aid the absorption of essential oils into your skin, help spread your essential oils over a large area of your body while also preventing quick evaporation.
In fact, with carrier oils, you will be getting the most out of your essential oils. If you’re not sure about how the right way to dilute your essential oils before use, follow this tip:
1 teaspoon of carrier oil for one drop of essential oil gives 1% dilution.
2. INCREASE YOUR RISK OF GETTING SUNBURNED
Essential oils such as lemon oils, grapefruit oils, orange oils, mandarin oils, rue oils, bergamot oil, and fig leaf oil increases your chances of getting sun burned because they increase your skin’s sensitivity to ultraviolet (UV) light .
Asides from getting sunburned, you can also get blisters and redness of skin along with other effects that might not be visible until after a few days.
Caution must be observed before using essential oils in pregnancy. Due to the fact that your body absorbs essential oils and they may cross your placenta to your fetus, serious harm can be done to your developing baby.
In order to avoid uterine contractions or other adverse effects, experts recommend not using essential oils in your first trimester as your baby is still in it’s early stage of development. Some essential oils are, however, safe to use in the 2nd and 3rd trimester and these include: lavender, chamomile and ylang ylang essential oils. Other oils like rosemary, cinnamon and clove should be used in caution.
We recommend that before you use essential oils in pregnancy, consult your healthcare provider.
Many unanswered questions revolve around whether essential oils are safe to ingest. Like has already been established, these oils are very concentrated and can cause you to overdose without realizing which can in turn cause systemic toxicity.
One fact that experts agree upon is that essential oils can cause irritation to the mucous membrane tissues. Taking them orally can burn your mouth, down to your gut lining and even beyond your digestive tract.
Ingestion can also cause other adverse effects like stomach pain, nausea, numbness and neurological discomfort. Before Ingesting any essential oil, make sure it’s under the supervision of a trained expert.
It has been established that natural does not mean safe and as such, using essential oils for skincare issues in children without proper precautions is not safe either. Children have thinner skin than adults and do not have a fully developed immune system.
Before using any essential oil for children, make sure that it is properly diluted even though some experts warn against using them at all.
Avoid using these essential oils on kids: pepper mint, rosemary and winter green oils.
6. HIGHLY FLAMMABLE
Extreme caution should be taken when disposing of essential oils or spilling them. Their bottles cannot be recycled unless the oil is washed off.
All essential oils are considered flammable but some are even more so. These include: teatree oil, lavender oil and citrus oil.
When disposing of an essential oil bottle, it is advisable you trash them or you use it with a passive diffuser.
7. DO A PATCH TEST
To make sure you don’t get an allergic reaction from using essential oil, a patch test is recommended before use.
To do this, dilute a drop of your oil with a teaspoon of carrier oil and rub on the inside of your arm. Wait for at least 24 hours to see if you’ll get an allergy.
8. AVIOD SENSITIVE AREAS
When using essential oils for skincare purposes, make sure to stay away from sensitive areas such as the eyes and ears as they can be greatly irritated.
One major factor to consider before buying essential oils is their purity. You want to make sure what you’re buying is of good quality and worth your money.
To test the purity of an essential oil, put a drop of oil on a piece of what paper and watch out for a stain. Pure essential oils will not leave a stain as that only means dilution with a carrier oil. Pure essential oils should evaporate.
To maintain the purity of your oil, store in tightly closed and dark coloured containers in a cool place.
- Also Read: HOW TO USE ESSENTIAL OILS TO TREAT DIFFERENT SKIN ISSUES
- HOW TO SPOT A FAKE ESSENTIAL OIL
- VERY EFFECTIVE NATURAL ESSENTIALS OILS THAT CURES ACNES
Twin Pregnancy: Top 10 Fun Facts for Moms Pregnant with Twins
Finding out you are pregnant with twins must be a pretty exciting time for most mothers; you aren’t just expecting one child, but two! Along with this excitement can come the usual anxiety that comes with being pregnant, along with uncertainty as to how the twins are fairing in there, especially if you’ve never before carried a twin pregnancy.
Like singleton pregnancies, twin pregnancies come with their own set of unique qualities and features, ones that might surprise you if you didn’t know about them.
Luckily, you don’t have to wait till long to find out these fascinating facts about your growing buns as this article right here presents you with ten of such amazing (and not so amazing facts about twin pregnancy)
10 Exciting Facts You Should Know about Twin Pregnancies
1) A woman’s chances of having twins are much higher from her 30s
From research, it has been discovered most women will experience a decline in their fertility from 30 years of age, a fact that makes every woman aware of her biological clock. However, aging for women is not all reduced fertility, wrinkles and morbid news as there is some silver lining in this dark cloud.
Same research that announced a drop in fertility also announced an increase in the chances of having twins. As a woman, your chances of a twin pregnancy increases from your 30s and this is welcomed news. This chance happens because your body produces more follicle stimulating hormone (the hormone responsible for the release of mature egg each month) during this time, making it possible for more than one egg to be fertilized.
2) Your twins that to form a strong bond very early
A lot of twins have a strong bond and that special language that is unique only to them and while this might be surprising to others, the reason behind it is actually very simple. This bond is so strong because babies in a twin pregnancy start to interact as early as 14 weeks while in the womb. With such an early start on bonding, it is no wonder this bond grows to be so strong by the time they are a little grown.
3) You most likely notice more intense morning sickness
Bad news for the mom with a twin pregnancy is the fact she might experience a little more intense morning sickness than what is seen in a singleton pregnancy.The reason for this is also not far-fetched as she would likely have a lot more human chorionic gonadotropic (hCG), the pregnancy hormone responsible for the formation of the placenta among other things. With more of this hormone coursing through her system, she is likely to experience more intense morning sickness .
Thankfully, she will start to get relief from the 12th- 13th week of pregnancy as this phase should start to abate.
4) One of the twins can get eaten while still in the womb
Yet another sad fact for a mom with a twin pregnancy is that one of the twin might not survive the whole process and can get eaten. This syndrome is quite common and is referred to as the Vanishing Twin Syndrome or the disappearing twin syndrome.
The vanishing twin syndrome is an occurrence where one of the twins is lost and gets reabsorbed by the other twin or into the mother’s body. It mostly happens early on in the pregnancy, even before the mother is aware she’s carrying twins, but could happen later on. It is quite common as only 1 in 70 twin pregnancies end up actually producing a twin.
5) A twin pregnancy can have different birth dates
Your twins may also get born with very different birth dates, an occurrence that is rare, but still quite possible. Twins who have different birth dates do so because they were born several minutes apart. For instance, one of the twins might get born at midnight and the other at the early hours of the next day.
While most time difference between twins are just a few minutes apart, the longest time between a twin birth recorded has been 87 days. In this case, one of the twins arrived 87 days earlier as a premature while the other was carried to term.
6) Your twins can be one of the three types of twins
Yet more amazing news for the mom pregnant with twins is that your twins might fall into one of the three types of twins. Your twins could be identical ( in which case they are very genetically alike), semi identical or fraternal.
7) The country with the highest rate of twin pregnancy is Benin
China is the country with the least number of twin pregnancies, while Benin holds the record for the highest. There are about 27.9 twin births for every 1,000 births in Benin.
8) Your folic acid need more than doubles with a twin pregnancy
Mothers pregnant with twins would need a lot more folic acid to cater to the growth and development of both babies. While a singleton pregnancy requires a daily intake of 0.4 milligram of folic acid to reduce the risk of birthing defects like spina bifida, a twin pregnancy needs require 1 milligram of folic acid daily to ward off the same birth defect.
9) You are likely to gain more weight
Weight gain is common (expected even) in pregnancies and pregnant women do no fret when it happens. While women carrying a single pregnancy can add up to 25 extra pounds when pregnant, a woman pregnant with twins can add up to 35 extra pounds.
Luckily, this weight gain is easily lost post pregnancy within three months to one year through exercising and the right nutrients. You might need to work with a dietitian on this one to get things right, that way, your baby doesn’t get starved of essential nutrients while you breastfeed.
The good news though, this this quite is very easy to shed afterwards and usually comes off within 3 months to one year post delivery.
10) Miscarriages are a little more common with twin pregnancies
Miscarriages are quite common as nearly 20% of all known pregnancies end in one. Unfortunately, twin pregnancies have a slightly higher risk of miscarriage than singleton pregnancies (up to 9% more risk) and moms pregnant with twins would need a lot more prenatal care to guard against this.
More Interesting Facts about Twin Pregnancies
- As a woman, you have a high chance of birthing twins if you are a fraternal twins yourself or have a fraternal twins on your side of the family.
- If you take in while breastfeeding your chances of a twin pregnancy is nine times higher.
- The average time between two twins is 17 minutes although it could be longer.
- 22% of twins are left-handed.
- You have a high risk pf health complications like gestational diabetes, high blood pressure and preeclampsia.
- Your risk of a preterm birth also increases with a twin pregnancy as most twins arrive between 36 – 37 weeks.
- Also Read: How To Boost Your Chances Of Having Twins
- HOW TO HEAL SORE THROAT DURING PREGNANCY
- HOW TO CONTROL SWOLLEN FEET DURING PREGNANCY
- HOW TO GET RID OF ACNE/PIMPLES DURING PREGNANCY
- HOW TO CONDUCT A PREGNANCY TEST AT HOME