Stewed gizzard is a very nutritious meal, which contains an a lot of protein which can be very beneficial for our wellbeing.
Gizzard is gotten from the chicken, its a muscular walled part of a chicken’s stomach, this enables them to grind their food.
Stewed gizzard is consumed all over the world, yes it is, and that is the reason why it’s popularly known.
So the question is “Have you ever thought of making gizzard stew at home?”
If your answer is YES!! Then you’re in the right place, this article will give you guides on how to make “Chicken Gizzard stew“
YOU MAY ALSO READ
HERE WE GO
But before we proceed let’s take a look at chicken gizzard’s nutrition facts table.
|% Daily Value*|
800 grams chicken gizzards (you might need more, as they tend to shrink a bit)
* 2 scotch bonnet peppers (or to suit your taste)
* 1 red bell pepper (tatashe)(optional)
* 1 fresh red tomato
* 2 large onions
* 1 chopped garlic clove/1 teaspoon powdered garlic
* 1 teaspoon thyme
* 1 teaspoon Curry (optional)
* 1 teaspoon Ground crayfish (optional)
* 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 stock cube(the big type)
* Salt (to taste)
* 1 green bell pepper (chopped into tiny cubes)
* 1 small red onions (chopped into tiny cubes)
* Clean the Gizzards, remove the yellow lining and Wash with salted water or lemon juice;Then rinse in running water, strain and set aside.
TIPS: you buy yours cleaned and prepacked,the yellow lining might not be there, so simply wash in salted water /lemon juice , rinse and strain.
1. Place the cleaned gizzards into a pot, pour enough water to cover it and season with half onion bulb, one stock cube, thyme and salt to taste. Cook until tender and set aside.
2. In a sauce pan, Heat up five (5) tablespoons vegetable oil. Saute or fry the gizzards in the oil until all sides are beautifully browned.
Transfer onto a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
Keep the saucepan(and the oil) for later use.
Tip: For a healthier option,you can grill the gizzards in the oven until brown.
3. Chop the tomato,peppers and one large onion and blend until smooth.
Tip: Don’t add any water to the blender,the juice from the tomato will serve.
4. Heat up the sauce pan, Add minced onions, garlic,curry and ground crayfish.
Stir-Fry a bit until you can perceive the aroma of the onions and spices.
Then pour in the blended pepper mix and Fry until the sour taste of the pepper is gone. This takes about 15 minutes.
Tip: You’ll know the sauce is ready when the oil rises to the top of the sauce
Tip: If you have pepper sauce 0r chicken stew you can skip step 3.
4. Now you can add the sauteed/fried gizzards to the sauce;add stock cube or salt to taste,mix thoroughly and simmer for 3 minutes, until the gizzards is softened a bit (you can taste to check).
5. Finally, add the garnish(the chopped green peppers and onions), Mix thoroughly and put of the heat.
And your meal is ready.
You can serve on skewers or bamboo sticks.
Peppered Gizzards (spicy stewed gizzards)can be served on its own, or with plantains, or jellof rice, fried rice, stewed rice, or plain boiled white rice. The choice is yours for you to make.